Tuesday, August 10, 2004

RIAA, MPAA, They'll Never Learn

Check this out... I'm not a Stargate fan (though I might have been if I'd started watching the show at the beginning), but this was brought to my attention via one of my favorite blogs, Idleworm.

Apparently the owner of the "SG-1 Archive," a fan site for the show Stargate SG-1, was raided by the FBI based on a never-served cease-and-desist order from MGM and the MPAA. Read the article for more.

This is just another example of how archaic copyright law is. Here's a guy who has not only helped to support a fan base for MGM's product, but actually helped to SELL MERCHANDISE for their product. And they repay him by telling him to stop and sending the FBI to raid his home and steal his equipment. If I were him, I'd drop the site altogether and stop watching the show, at the very least.

Another thing: why is the FBI bothering with a sci-fi fan website in the first place? If we have all these problems with terrorism scares and such in this country, don't they have more important things to do?

No comments:

Banners

morningcoach.com