Monday, July 10, 2006

Post World-Cup-Final Rehash

Well, this wasn't quite the final I was expecting... I figured it'd be a dive-fest by the Italians. Instead, the ref wasn't having it and the Italians adjusted admirably to the situation. And I had just found this video online, too...



Oh well. I was definitely for the French in this game, as I am not a big fan of defensive soccer. The French were playing an attractive speedy game, and the Italians were holding back. The insertion of Iaquinta and De Rossi made it pretty obvious after a while that they were playing for overtime and PKs. And the late insertion of Del Piero confirmed that for me as they'd definitely want his touch out there for the shootout.

But it was a good, solid hard-fought game, and both sides showed admirably. All in all, I was pleased with the attacking by the French (particularly in the second half) and you can't fault the Italians for their defense under such heavy fire at times. All in all, I'd say the better team won the day.

You can't go on, though, without commenting on the horrible finish by Zidane. It was pretty clear from the replay of the head-butting incident that the Italian player said something to Zidane, and Zidane was provoked to react. But in the World Cup Final, as the captain of your team, you need to show a little more control than that. As it stands, this is what people are going to remember about Zidane, and it's a shame. I like the man and his play, but that action is going to leave a bitter taste in my mouth as I recall his career.

No comments:

Banners

morningcoach.com