Monday, November 24, 2008

Crew 3, New York 1: The Culmination of All Our Soccer Dreams

Yesterday, the Columbus Crew beat the New York Red Bulls 3-1 and took home their first MLS Cup.

I've been following the Crew since 1997, the year after I moved to Columbus. I have to fully admit I wasn't aware of the Crew until I moved down here in 1996, just after the MLS Cup of that year. My first game was a shootout win against the San Jose Clash in April of '97. I was confused as hell by the shootout (which I didn't realize even existed), but enjoyed the game. The next year, I bought season tickets. I've been a season ticket possessor since then (not always having paid for them, as I was on the Crew's website staff for several years and got free tickets for that).

I think it's safe to say I've seen this team through thick and thin since then. I was in the stadium for all the losses to DC United in the conference finals (including the deciding game in DC in '99) and have travelled to a few other games as well, in Chicago, New York, and a couple of friendlies against A-League teams in Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. I've exulted in Open Cup wins and Supporters' Shield victories, and despaired to watch us give it up in the playoffs. I've bemoaned our coaching situation as we went from league-leaders to the laughing stock of the league before the term of our current coach, Sigi Schmidt. I've put up with the fans who can only see the negative with the team, and exulted with the fans who love them no matter what.

I was there for the rise of the North End fan section with uber-fan Matt Bernhardt and made lifelong friends there. I witnessed the fall of it with the rise of V-Army. I've watched from afar as the North End was reborn in the Nordecke and smiled with appreciation for this fantastic group of fans.

I've played recreational soccer with my friends from the North End and met my wife on that team. I've interviewed players and coaches, made some friends among those folks, and gotten an appreciation of the down-to-earth nature of US soccer players, players who are genuinely happy to meet their fans and appreciative of the effort that the fans make in a country where their sport is considered second-level.

This past season I probably attended fewer games than I ever have before, due to family commitments and some unforseen circumstances. But the Crew was always in my sights. I hesitantly got excited as this team excelled, did things that in the past would seem impossible for a Crew team (like regularly come back from being down a goal and hold on to a lead in the last 5 minutes), and then watched in awe as the team rolled through the playoffs and took the league in a way that couldn't have been better.

1. We kept DC United out of the playoffs in the last game of the season, getting revenge for years of them keeping us out of MLS Cup.

2. We beat the hated Chicago Fire in the conference finals.

3. And we won the whole darned thing! After a shaky start in the game, the team took over in the second half and showed the form that had led them to victory after victory all season long.

This post would be absolutely remiss without the mention of Guillermo Barros Schelotto, the midfield wizard from Argentina, who came here last year and transformed the team with his incredible vision and creative passing. I can't say anything about him that hasn't already been said, but he absolutely deserves to be remembered with the great athletes of Columbus history.

We don't know what the future holds. Coach Sigi Schmidt's contract is up this year and apparently hasn't been renewed yet (RENEW IT NOW!). Schelotto is a bit older and may not be around with us much longer. And an expansion draft for the new team from Seattle may take key personnel away. You never know .

But now, in this year, and on this day, the Crew is the MLS Champion. Finally. The long suffering fans of Columbus can relax a bit now and enjoy the fruits of victory. Let the talk of MLS's conspiracy against Columbus fade for a bit. Let's ignore the awful pro-New York coverage of the game go. We beat them all - the Crew won the whole darned thing. Enjoy.

Michael Arace from the Dispatch captures this season perfectly.

No comments:

Banners

morningcoach.com