Friday, May 11, 2007

Moreno to Crew - So Long, Joseph Ngwenya

In a fairly big trade, the Crew grabbed forward Alejandro Moreno from Houston and traded Joseph Ngwenya to the Dynamos in return.

I'll be very honest, I've only seen Moreno play a couple times as I generally don't have time to watch non-Crew games on TV (I don't always have time to watch Crew games on TV, for that matter). But from what I've seen, he's a much cleaner player than Carlos Ruiz (not that that's too hard), who was rumored to be coming to Columbus. And he's a big, physical presence up front, a good holder of the ball, and he's scored a lot of goals in the rather limited number of games he's been in. He seems to have always been behind a top-notch scorer on the depth chart wherever he's been, so he's probably chomping at the bit to be the number one guy.

So I like this move. I liked Ngwenya, but have to admit I agree with those who say he was offside too much. He was starting much better this season, but the fact remains that we need a scoring punch, and with only one true forward on the roster (and a crappy one at that in Jason Garey) we needed to do something. And now we have.

Also interesting - our trades recently have been much more about skill than about "hustle," "pace," or being a good practice player. That was a curse we were under in the Fitz/Andrulis years. With Sigi Schmidt as the big kahuna on the bench, we're moving in a much more offensive, skill-based direction. I like it. We'll see how things pan out if we can ever get Moreno and Herron on the field simultaneously. I'm excited!

5 comments:

amidnightrider said...

So, do you recognize my name.

I am posting as amidnightrider because I am one of many. My heart lies here

You on BigSoccer?

amidnightrider said...

p.s. Do you follow the national team also?

Jamie said...

I certainly do recognize the name "Midnight Riders" - I'm not a HUGE soccer über-fan type any more, but I used to help run Sam's Army - Columbus and made the trip to Foxboro for the US/Jamaica game in October, 2001 with a number of friends from SA-C. I still have my Phillips US Soccer shirt from that game kicking around somewhere... :)

I used to be on BigSoccer, but I got tired of all the posturing and bickering that went on there. I haven't posted there regularly in years.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

Jamie said...

My pleasure, Layla. Alejandro Moreno has become exactly the player I was hoping he'd be for the Crew and I stand by saying that this was a GREAT trade! He's one of my favorite players on the team now and I think most people agree he's one of the key cogs in the engine that's making this team a champion.

Banners

morningcoach.com