Thursday, February 14, 2008

Be Still My Heart... Jeff Bradley Waxes Nostalgic About Something Involving Columbus. Postively.

I don't think much of Jeff Bradley's First XI column for MLSNet. He's a raving DC/New York/LA fanboy, in other words, exactly what the league wants him to be. And they're the ones paying him to write for them, so it makes sense to kiss up to the boss. But he's positively negative most of the time about the Crew.

So when I read his latest column for MLSNet, I was shocked. The subject, about things he misses in MLS, included this:

3. Stern John in Columbus. Stern John's time in MLS was brief but memorable. I put him on this list because, when it comes to MLS strikers, he's the guy who immediately pops into my mind. Strong and quick with a hunger to score goals. I imagine we'll see him again some day in the league, but it won't be the same. I also think of Damani Ralph when I think of Stern. These are the kind of strikers I like to watch.

Be still my soccer loving heart! Of course, he still had this tidbit with which to kick the Crew a bit:

7. Eddie Gaven in New Jersey. He was traded away from his home state for Edson Buddle, who lasted about a month with the Red Bulls. Sad, really, that this kid who showed so much promise as a teenager, who grew up watching the MetroStars at Giants Stadium, didn't get to hang around longer. He's still a youngster, but I can't help but get choked up when I watch some of his dribbling exhibitions from 2004 and 2005, when he was considered the Next Big Thing. And I hope he finds his way back home some day.

Though I suppose I can't blame him for being upset at losing him to Columbus for Edson Buddle...

No comments:

Banners

morningcoach.com