Monday, September 12, 2005

Here Come The Irish!

Well, the turnaround of Notre Dame Football under head coach Charlie Weis is in full effect, yo. Notre Dame spanked Michigan in the Big House on Saturday. I'll let the article do all the talking about the actual action on the field, suffice to say I'm real happy!

A couple notes - the poor sportsmanship shown by the Michigan fans in showering the field with cups made me remember my hatred of the practice of throwing cups at ND Stadium (not onto the field) during my 1987-1990 (football seasons) tenure there. I think it was during sophomore year (1988) when the practice was started. These were those hard plastic cups that have since become so popular everywhere as quality tableware for college students and bachelors the world over. The student section used to toss them up in the air in celebration, and when one of those damn things hit you in the head it hurt like hell.

So, in their overwhelming intelligence (which was possibly lessened by the number of cups hitting them in the heads), student government started a movement to not throw cups, but instead to bring marshmallows to the game and throw those instead. Well, naturally, the next game after that change, it rained. The entire student section was reduced to a white sticky mess that felt like the floor of a taxicab and probably looked like something out of a Peter North movie (ask around if you've never heard of him. Again, look for bachelors and college students on this one). Funny story, anyhoo.

Oh, this struck me as funny, too.


Haven't heard/read any post-game whining by the U of M fans about the game yet - but I'm expecting it given the two replays that went ND's way (Ndukwe's fantastic heads-up fumble recovery and the ensuing "not-fumble" that kept the ball in ND's hands). Top notch tackling throughout the game - something that we missed during the Willingham era. Altogether, I'm really looking forward to the MSU game at the house that Rockne built. Hopefully I'll be attending the ND/BYU game on Oct. 22, too. :)

4 comments:

Kate G. said...

Nice to see that the Irish are getting back on top. I must admit, I have some [undeserved] pride seeing how well they are doing with our QB hometown boy from Buford! (which is close to where I live in the ATL metro-area) Well... that and the fact that if you love football at all, you have to love the movie Rudy, meaning you have to have some affinity for the Irish.

It was a good weekend for football! The Dawgs came out on top of Steve Spurr... I mean USC. Always a beautiful thing!

Jamie said...

Ah... Darius Walker! Great player there - he's going to get a lot of yards for us again this year, I think.

I agree with you about Spurrier. That guy is a jerk. I used to cheer for South Carolina when Lou Holtz was there (especially when they played the Buckeyes in a bowl game a few years ago) but now I can't do it.

DP said...

The Irish were the better team, and played with real emotion. Simple as that. Weis is the first coach since Holtz to "get" Notre Dame, and it shows.

Now, let's get to the matter of the Guinness Boys currently trailing by 15 points with the MNF game still to be played...

Jamie said...

Serves me right for relying on the Vikings for points. Guess I made up for it by picking up Williams and Davis from TB for next week... ;)

I have to say also that I was bushwhacked by the incompetence of former tOSU player B.J. Sander in Green Bay - bobbling the snap for Longwell's first FG attempt in Detroit. Stupid Buckeyes...

And as you said, there's still tonight's game...

Banners

morningcoach.com