Friday, December 08, 2006

Coldest. Ride. Ever.

Okay, today was tough. The issue with the balaclava not protecting the top of my head well was still an issue, and so were the cold hands. But I still persevered and rode in to work today.

A note that only you guys may get: boxers don't work too well for a bike ride. I'm gonna have to get more boxer briefs, I think. Enough said on that. It'll be warmer, too.

Some other stuff I'm going to need includes some wind/rain pants. Until I get going, the legs get a bit cold. And even when I am going (and I generally wear fleece-lined pants in the winter) it's not quite as toasty as I'd like.

But I still got to work feeling great, so it's not like I'm going to give up the bike any time soon.

2 comments:

Yokota Fritz said...

Weather Underground tells me it never even got into the single digits. When you ride when it twenty below with windblown snow across the prairie, come back and tell me it was cold :-)

The secret to protecting your delicate bits: A Sock. For the face and head, I have the Seirus "neofleece" headliner, which is a hat and clava in one. Fleece-lined neoprene keeps me warm, but holes on front of the mouth and nose-hole keeps me from fogging up my eyeglasses.

I'm in California now, but this gear is good down to 20 below in the midwest for shorter distances. Coldest I've ever done is 40 below, but I only had a mile to go that day.

Jamie said...

Thanks, Fritz. I'm sure I'll have colder days ahead (well, not so sure, given that most of December seems to have been in the high 50s around here), but for now you own the B&M cold-weather biking trophy.

Cold wasn't so much an issue with the delicate bits, it was more just the problem of parts... um... getting in the way.

Fogging wasn't an issue, but I don't wear glasses. I may need to get some, though - the eyes do tear up a bit when riding in the cold.

Banners

morningcoach.com