Thursday, December 07, 2006

First Snow Bike

Just as Jenn was leaving for work this morning with Duncan it was starting to snow, and by the time I was ready to go there was a fair bit on the ground. And, more importantly, on the road. So my first bike ride in the snow was today. Luckily my balaclava from REI arrived last night so warmth on the face wasn't a problem. Three things stood out:

1. My bike gets better traction on snow than I thought it might. Those big knobby tires do the trick pretty well. The only slippery times I had were instances where it would have been slippery whether I was on foot or in my car. And I just put my feet down and slid along on four points instead of two. Not that big a deal (though it surprised the hell out of me the one time I had to deal with it.

2. The balaclava did the trick for keeping my face warm nicely. Strangely enough, though, the top of my head was a bit cold. I may have to find some sort of helmet cover for the winter so that less air gets through it (as it's built for maxiumum air running through your hair, since most people don't bike much in the cold.

3. The hands are still cold. I'm going to have to find some real biking mittens or something.

All in all, though, I enjoyed the experience. I took it a bit slowly, but not too slow, I thought. And the looks on people's faces were great, as usual. :)

2 comments:

Paul Dorn said...

Brrr. I won't complain when temps dip into the 50s here in San Francisco. If you haven't alreaday, you might want to check out IceBike. A great site for hardy winter cyclists.

Jamie said...

Thanks, Paul. I've been perusing IceBike for a while, thanks to your link to them! Your site is great, too, btw. Helped get me started with some tips and such.

Banners

morningcoach.com