Monday, June 13, 2005

Kilted Reactions

Since donning the kilt for the first time, I've gotten a lot of varied reactions to it. I've never gotten a negative one - it seems that, at least in Columbus, people who don't approve just keep their mouths shut. At least for the most part. I've had one friend who gave me a hard time and then said "Now go home, and put on some pants."

Primarily, the comments I get are either "Are you Scottish?" or "Do you play the bagpipes?" It seems to me that people think I need a reason for wearing the kilt other than "it's just comfortable." Now, granted, I do have some Scots blood in me, but for the most part it's just the most comfortable garment I own.

Another reaction has, strangely, been from people who try to reassure me that it's okay to wear it. Um... I'm the one wearing it pretty much everywhere... I think I'm okay with it. One lady actually went out of her way to tell me it looked nice, and VERY MASCULINE. Okay... um, thanks? I guess?

In a weird couple of days, I had two Columbus Police Officers ask me about it. I think the tryouts for the Police/Fire Pipe Band were going on or something, that's what I picked up from one of them. But suffice to say, being stopped by the cops to have them get a Utilikilts card from you was weird.

When Duncan was born, the pediatrician on staff asked me if it was a Game Day thing - I suppose in reference to college football (it was Nov. 6, a Saturday, when I wore it to the hospital, and he was born at Ohio State University Medical Center).

Some folks have simply just asked me if it is a kilt. That's fair... I have no problem with that one.

I had one lady nearly hitting on me when I wore it to a barbecue place in Worthington. The looks I got there (think blue-collar conservative types as patrons) were priceless, and then having this waitress telling me that the real men all wear kilts was absolutely great. My dad and brother were with me and I think they didn't know what to make of it.

At my sister's wedding, the first time I've gone out kilted but not regimental (as required by my sister, apparently) I actually got it lifted, so naturally I was disappointed that I was wearing underwear as I didn't like being revealed as a poseur. :)

Most of my relatives don't know what to make of it at all. My one cousin just shrieked "Oh my god, he's wearing a skirt" and "Why are you wearing that?" when she first saw it.

I'm looking forward to more fun reactions as I go on about my business as a kilted man.

No comments:

Banners

morningcoach.com