Monday, August 29, 2005

French Quarter Surviving?

I've been monitoring the Hurricane Katrina news as much as possible here at work today, and one thing has struck me more than any other thing: The newer parts of the city, downtown, etc., have buildings collapsing. But the pictures I've seen of the French Quarter look wet, but not damaged much at all.

Now, my knowledge of New Orleans geography is not good. I have no clue what part of the city the Quarter is in, how close to the levees or the coast it is, or any of that sort of thing. But it just strikes me that whoever built those buildings, way back when, surely knew what they were doing.

2 comments:

DP said...

The French Quarter is above sea level, which should protect it somewhat. What I haven't heard about yet is the Garden District, where a lot of the stately old homes (including Anne Rice's) are located.

Any info on that?

Jamie said...

I found this article at the Boston Globe about the status of various New Orleans landmarks, including some in the Garden District. Not promising...though perhaps not as bad as some places in town.

Banners

morningcoach.com