Monday, August 29, 2005

New Orleans

The news on New Orleans and the hurricane they're going through RIGHT NOW is hitting me kind of hard, for several reasons. And they're sort of selfish reasons, for whatever it's worth. Don't get me wrong... I'm completely sympathetic to the poor people who live there and the fact that many of them are going to lose their homes, and frightened for the people who couldn't get out of the city. And the historian in me is aghast at all the amazing history of the region that could be lost.

But the selfish part of me is thinking "I never got to visit there." I have wanted to visit New Orleans for a VERY long time - as silly as it sounds, ever since the computer game Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father came out, I have wanted to check out what seems to be the most amazing city in the United States. And having met some online friends who live there has made it even worse. I hope that Jack, Laura, Tom, Gabe, Ralph, Riley, Dallas, and Rich are all okay. I hope that I'll get to meet them soon and I especially hope that their losses are minimal.

And the history part of me is horrified that the city where my Fellrath ancestors entered the United States is under such heavy attack from the forces of nature. I had hoped to go there and see where my forebearers entered this country from Germany.

I hope I'm not being too fatalistic - New Orleans has been through horrible storms before and has always come out on top. And maybe I'm letting the panic-driven newscasters on TV get to me with their talk about how "this is the big storm that New Orleans has always feared." But for a city I've never been to except in books, movies, and a video game, I feel a sense of kinship with those folks down there. I'd hate to see a wonderful amazing city like New Orleans be damaged too heavily. I don't want anything to change before I'm able to visit.

2 comments:

Kate G. said...

You're not being too fatalistic. New Orleans IS that wonderful. The history, the rich culture, the strange accents, the stench of the quarter, the melodic jazz, the drive-thru daquiri shops, the beautiful cathedrals that make you feel God's presence.

For richer and for poorer, in sickness and in health... the good and the bad the city is just captivating. I am so glad that you can possibly understand that although you've never been. You'd be surprised how many people I have overheard in the past week saying, "well who'd want to go THERE anyway." It breaks my heart. You know who wants to go there? The people who love it, who live there... who can't go home.

Anyway, thanks for the post. Sorry to ramble on. But you'll visit there someday. I'm sure of it. And yes... it's so worth it.

Jamie said...

Elaine, thanks for this. I hope that all folks who are affected by this horrible disaster have the same attitude you do. Because I truly believe that a positive attitude is what gets things done in this world.

As hard as it can be to keep it going at times, keep a positive mental picture of what you want and you'll get there.

And I'm sure I'll visit there, too. I'm going to make a point of it as soon as the city gets back on its feet.

Banners

morningcoach.com