Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Pitter Patter ...Pitter Patter... redux

Duncan walked up to me the other day and handed me something that he didn't quite understand, but was full of meaning for me... a picture of him in a frame, a frame that said "#1 Big Brother."

Yeah, that's right. The plumbing still works, we're having another kid. Aside from answering my own questions about my virility (which I really had none of, but I find funny to say, so bear with me), it's interesting to me how different this feels than the last time (when Jenn just told me she didn't think she was going to be able to play in our next indoor soccer season).

First of all, there's not any fear like last time. Duncan is a two-year-old now, and he's happy, healthy, and we're financially secure. I have no fears that we can't keep this going with another kid.

And of course, this time I know what's coming: sleepless nights, countless diapers, lots of laundry, more little toys all over the place, even more tiny socks (the socks! they're everywhere! ARRGGHH!!), power-chucking breast milk, and all the stuff that goes along with an infant. Plus the absolute joy at seeing a little life grow in front of your eyes.

What I don't know is a little unsettling, but not too much: how is Duncan going to handle being a big brother? Is he going to be helpful and happy to have a sibling? Is he going to be one of those kids who is resentful at having the attention taken away from him at times? I'm sure it'll be a combination of the two: the boy loves babies now, but certainly does like having the attention. He's a ham.

And how are we going to handle things like different schedules? Just simple things like the Little Gym - Duncan and the sequel are going to have to be in different classes due to their ages. And we're definitely going to need a new car - we barely all three fit into the one we have now. I have to sit in the back with Duncan because the passenger seat in front has to be pushed too far forward to fit his car seat; I simply don't fit up there.

I'm sure we'll sort it all out. But it certainly does get the mind reeling a bit.

6 comments:

DP said...

CONGRATS!

I'll spare you most of the grizzled veteran Dad advice and just advise you to stock up on coffee. The serious gourmet ____, since you're going to be drinking a lot of it.

And Duncan's going to absolutely love the new one. According to my wise wife, boys are actually more empathetic at his age. That seems to be the case--D3 is much more captivated by infants than the girls are, to my surprise. Dale's definitely the most persistent lobbyist for another sibling.

Jamie said...

Thanks! We're pretty excited. Duncan isn't quite getting the idea of a baby in the house quite yet... but I'm sure he'll get it once Jenn starts to show more.

Heather said...

Duncan will treat the new one the way YOU treat the new one. That's what I had to keep in mind.

I'll admit, I don't think Dale's lobbying has as much to do with babies in general as the potential for a brother.

And a hefty congratulations, that's for sure!

carlos said...

Congratulations.

Jamie said...

Thanks, Carlos... Rozas?

carlos said...

Yes. Carlos Rozas. Quick run down. Living in Portland OR for about 11 years. Married. Have a two year old son, Alexander.

Banners

morningcoach.com